Struggling and Swimming and Lows, Oh My!

| Posted in ,

Karyn Brown
April 30, 2010






LOWS 
So, I've been waking up low almost every day since I've become more committed to training.  I'm no dummy and watched my CGM graphs for a few days and decided a lower basal rate for me from 3am to 6am was going to help.  I did this and was waking up with a BG (blood glucose) of 103, 95, etc for about a week and now I'm back to 50s upon waking.  I have my CGM plugged back in but it's only been a few days so no changes quite yet other than breakfast immediately upon waking!  Ah, diabetes rears it's ugly head once again!  Next struggle for me.... swimming.  I've started taking Total Immersion swimming lessons to help with that struggle!

SWIMMING
I'm NOT a swimmer, pretty sure I said that before.  I still can't swim a single length of any pool continuously....   But, my pump is waterproof so maybe, hopefully, diabetes isn't as much of a struggle while swimming!  No bolusing for 'lost' insulin while disconnected to swim is less of a hassle for me – because my Animas Ping (which is PINK) does not need to be disconnected while I swim.  I just tuck it into my suit and GO!  So diabetes and swimming NOT as much of a struggle as it could be?  Except I had my 2nd swim lesson this past Monday and while the coach told me I had 'freakishly good control of my body' – which meant I was moving my body correctly and will eventually mean I can swim well – I got out of the pool with a BG of 31!  WHAT?  Maybe I should disconnect just for the heck of it and avoid that low next time?

DIABETES STRUGGLES
But what if next time isn't like last time?  Every diabetic has asked that question.  The same inputs don't ALWAYS mean the same output.  I could be stressed – which may raise or lower my BG....   any number of things could be going on which may make my diabetes be a struggle with or without exercise with it.    ARGH! 

The ever changing world of MY diabetes!  I continue to struggle with swimming and diabetes but with a goal in mind (A 1.2 mile swim in September and improving A1Cs and less lows!) I continue to struggle and those struggles will pay off!  I know they will!  Dealing with these struggles – swimming and diabetes – will result in IMPROVEMENTS!  I can't wait!

Comment (1)

Post a Comment