Better Cycling

| Posted in ,

Dorinda Shipman
April 22, 2010






Thanks to all the WILD Women for inspiring me to do the 70.3.  I’m new to triathlons so I’ve got a long way to go, but you are all helping me believe that I can do it.  Cycling is my strongest area, so I thought it best to spend my current blog on that topic.  I’m just a little over a week away from the Napa Valley Tour de Cure coming up on May 2nd.  I’ve participated in the ride for 8 years and have served on the volunteer committee the last six years.  This year I am co-chairing the event, so I’m not riding , but it will still be a great time as Mari Ruddy will be joining us.  Last year it rained an inch before 8 am!  But I had the pleasure of riding the 50 mile route with Greg LaMond three time Tour de France champion who lost his mother to diabetes complications.  Greg was helpful and inspiring to all, and even changed a flat tire for me!

Although I’ve been cycling for years, I had never had an accurate bike fitting until a few weeks ago.  The folks at Bespoke in San Francisco evaluated me and my bike to maximize my efficiency, comfort, injury prevention and performance.  Cyclists of all abilities can benefit from a fit to reduce wear and tear on the body from the repetitive nature of cycling and promote cycling longevity.  Those were my goals.  They assessed my shoe fit and foot alignment and then hooked me up to a Retül system, which recorded my position in motion, alignment and gait used while pedaling to create a realistic picture of my actual pedal strokes and body position when I’m out on the road. The computer images showed me my pedal strength on each side just like the drills that Yoli has us doing!  From this and an overall body positioning and bike geometry assessment, they told me I could improve my fit and gave me options for changes to increase the strength of my pedal stroke and relieve stress and reduce injury.  I have a Specialized Dolce which is designed for a women’s frame, but based on the recommendations, they reduced the width of and reach to my handle bars, adjusted my seat back and adjusted the position of my shoe cleats.  I also got new pedals to as I had always had some problems getting in and out of my old pedals.  What a difference!  I love my bike even more now even though it set me back some $$.  So the bike fit is highly recommended, especially if anyone is having aches and pains after cycling.

I hope that helps someone out there, and

Keep the Rubber Side Down

Comments (0)

Post a Comment