Omnipod vs. Minimed

| Posted in , , ,

Jennifer Ahn
March 28, 2010





Hello Team WILD blog readers!!

I have the honor of writing the first blog of the season. My name is Jennifer Ahn. I am a returning Team WILD 70.3 member from last year. This team was such a motivational asset in my completion of the ½ Ironman last year, I could not imagine doing a long-distance race without them. Last year, I was able to finish the race but had issues with calf pain during the run and felt I didn’t give it my best effort. So, this year, I would like to complete the race in less than 7 hours by running the ½ marathon part. I know I can do it with the wonderful support of the women on this team.

Now to my blog… I had told some of the team that I was doing an Omnipod insulin pump trial. Some of the women wanted to know how it went… hence, the birth of a blog.


Omnipod vs. Minimed
I have been on a Minimed pump since I was diagnosed with diabetes about 15 years ago. I have seen the Omnipod before but didn’t like the concept of having this massive structure sticking out. Although you have a “cord” to the Minimed pump, it seemed more appropriate. But, “the Omnipod is good for swimming”… “it’s waterproof, it has a lot of advantages, especially for triathlons.” This is what I heard from others who have used it.

I have a patient who is on the Omnipod and would show me her PDM (Personal Diabetes Manager). I felt like one of those physicians that new the concept of the pump but didn’t know how to get the information as I did with the Minimed or Animas pumps. So, I thought I’d finally try it out, both to relate to my patients and also to see what the advantages may bring for myself during the upcoming triathlon season.

The Omnipod rep came to my office armed with all the supplies I would need to use the Omnipod for about 2 weeks. She showed me how to program the PDM and place a pod on. I thought, “Not bad… Very similar to the Minimed in the functionality.” The PDM even had a food library that you can look up carbohydrate counts. Too bad the library doesn’t link into the bolus program.

The first day it felt odd not reaching for my pump to give myself a bolus. I went riding on the Computrainer and had to find the PDM to change create a temporary basal rate. But, overall, it still was similar to the typical pump. The next day, I got to try it out swimming. This was a huge advantage as I did not have to disconnect. Nor did I have to bolus myself for the “lost” insulin during the hour of swimming. OK… I liked it so far. I showed it off to my boyfriend, who immediately asked, “does it beep when you’re low.” I responded, “No. It doesn’t communicate with my sensor.” He wasn’t sure he liked that.

Day 3 – It was time to change the pod. And, let me tell you… it tells you and then some. The pod starts beeping at you every 10-15 minutes about 2hrs before the pod expires. This wouldn’t be so bad. However, I was in the middle of a lecture during the time and I left the PDM in my office. It was a quiet but persistent beep. OK… note to self, change pod earlier prior to the expiration time. Once I got to my office, I changed the pod. I had a wedding to go to the next day and was planning on wearing a dress, so I thought I’d try my leg as a site (someplace I have never tried as a site before).

Day 4 – I went biking on the Computrainer again. After the bike ride, I checked my blood sugar. It was 110. I put the value in the PDM (as it has the ability to graph all your blood sugars). I left the gym. When I got home, I was ready to eat my recovery snack. Crap… I left the PDM at the gym. Ugghhh! Now, I had to give myself an injection because I couldn’t access the insulin in my pump. I showered, ate and went back to the gym. It was a definite disadvantage for the Omnipod for this mishap. Yes… it was my fault for leaving the PDM at the gym. But, I never ever left my Minimed at the gym.

The rest of the days were pretty much similar. I got used to having the pod on. It really isn’t that big. But, I tend to forget the PDM. I would go to lunch and have to find the PDM to carry with me. I could imagine during the triathlon season, the advantages and disadvantages to this pump. I have listed some of the advantages and disadvantages from my experience.

Advantages:
Waterproof
“Wireless”
Don’t need the PDM for it to work
Can set the temp basal on a timer and forget about it during the exercise
Multiple sites to choose from
You can wear a dress!

Disadvantages:
Have to find the PDM to give yourself a bolus (imagine if you were high during a run or bike and left the PDM at home or at the transition area to lighten the load).
No clock on the pod
No sensor reading to it (although this will change… but will need to carry pdm more closely)
Have to suspend it if making changes to normal basal rates

Overall, I can see myself trying out the Omnipod during an event. They even have a easy switch program called, “cutting the cord,” where you can get a starter kit for the PDM and pod for $299. Then, you can submit to your insurance for pod coverage. I thought this may be a potential option. Nevertheless, I have had so much success with the Minimed pump, that I cannot see myself committing to the Omnipod for my preferred pump. If I go this route to have an option during the race, I would have to opt to pay for the pods out of pocket, which would be about $35-40 per pod. For now, I will stick with the Minimed. However, when I return the PDM, I will ask the rep whether I can still get the starter kit if I do not choose to pursue the insurance coverage. It’s nice to have the option for an upcoming event.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment