Hello WILD Women!

| Posted in

Karyn Brown
March 31, 2010






I am Karyn Brown and this is my 2nd season with Team WILD. However, last year I was on a relay team and joined the team about 6 weeks before the race as a cyclist. I had a blast and LOVED my team!

However, I am NOT a runner nor a swimmer. I ran more than 10 years ago and then was in a pretty bad head-on accident and after several months of physical therapy… 16 weeks of non-weight bearing? – I went to an orthopedic surgeon and as I explained my LOVE of running she explained how many of her patients were there to see her because they run. She continued on to tell me that she would not be comfortable treating me if I decided to continue running. So I turned to my other LOVE – telemark skiing (I even got married on my skis- and had a torn ACL on my wedding day)! After she performed 3 knee surgeries for injuries due to skiing – on my right knee, 2 ACLs and 2 meniscectomies – I went in for my final follow up for the last surgery in April 2009 and she said ‘ you know what? I went running this last weekend and it was GREAT! I need to stop telling my patients not to run.’ So, that ‘sounded’ like permission for me to run?


I am also not a swimmer – and by not a swimmer I mean that I can survive but if I do a freestyle stroke I can’t breathe… so REALLY not a swimmer. A friend loaned me a book though and I am figuring it out and with the help and support of Team WILD – local and remote, I WILL be a swimmer in time to finish the Branson 70.3 ½ Ironman event in September 2010!

So, this is the time of year when I must leave behind my favorite sport….
And join the crew of wonderful women on Team WILD for what may become my newest favorite sports!
This past weekend was also Diabetes Expo in Denver and Team WILD was there recruiting. I wore my WILD ‘uniform’ and headed to the Denver Convention Center. It was an awesome event and we had quite the interest – I think these WILD teams are about to grow!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment