Austin Return

| Posted in

Jennifer Ahn
April 28, 2010






This past weekend, I revisited Austin, the place of the inaugural Team WILD event, Longhorn 70.3.  I watched an inline speed skating marathon, the Texas Road Rash (what a great name), which my friend was competing in.  I thought going 20 mph on a bike was not a bad pace during a race.  But, imagine going 20 mph on skates.  What a fun event to watch.  Too bad I don’t have coordination on skates or it may be a fun thing to try for cross training.


While in Austin, I rented a nice Trek Madone and rode the streets of Austin, which brought back memories of October.  But, let me tell you… I can tell, I have work to do before Branson in September.  I felt tired and out of shape as I rode up some of the hills.  I was able to keep up my speed, but my endurance needs to build back up.  I guess that’s what being in Phase 2 of the training schedule is all about.  Living in Chicago, the weather can be hit or miss.  Thus, most of my bike work-outs have been on a Computrainer.  It was so nice to ride outdoors in 80 degrees weather.  It will be nice to start training with my triathlon group this week as it will push my focus more on training.  Looking at the calendar, I can’t believe May is this weekend and I have a 10 mile race at the end of the month.  Branson is only 140+ days away.  But, I know that the hard work and training plan will get me to my goals.  Can’t wait!

On a side note, I got to visit Lance Armstrong’s bike shop, Mellow Johnny’s.  I didn’t get to go to the shop in Austin.  It was an amazing place.  If you ever visit, you definitely need to stop downstairs where it is a Lance museum.  They have bikes he’s raced with, a fit studio and training center.  No Lance sighting during the visit (sorry Mari) but a great time was had.


At Mellow Johnny's with Lance's Tour de France bike from 2009! 



Comments (0)

Post a Comment