Day on the Bike

| Posted in , ,

Karen Rogers
April 17, 2010






Hello everyone and welcome to the 2010 triathlon season. After participating on the 70.3 team last year, I look forward to the season and making this journey and finish better. How do I make this happen when, for the past few months, activity has not been my top priority?

Participating in a half-day triathlon training camp seemed like a good way to get me going again, so off I head for Tubac, Arizona. In the pool for our favorite swim drills, I’m reminded I still look forward to the end of the pool instead of the bottom and don’t rotate much. Definitely things I’ll be working on in the next few months. After a dip in the hot tub to warm up, we were off to do the run drills. Same drills as those Yoli provided, but nice to have feedback on ways to improve.


This training session also provided a chance to watch blood sugar reactions and test some different strategies. For this camp Lantus was on board for my basal rate and boluses were delivered with the pump. During a break between running and biking drills, after checking my BS, I bolus a correction. As I’m going to be out on the bike and I’m 2 hours into a moderate training session, I think about food, Marcey, and what I should eat. Although my CGM shows my BS on a steady rise, I eat about 25 g of carbs. With a bolus on board for a correction, a full bolus is not taken for the additional carbs. Thinking I may have too much insulin on board for the activity planned, I fill a water bottle with an electrolyte/carb solution providing 19 g of carbs and start sipping.

We head out for the real hills and a headwind. Yet again, I shift up when I want to shift down. Thought I had that straight by now, but at least I didn’t drop the chain and fall over. Midway through the bike drills, check the CGM and I’m 144 trending down. One more hill to go. Lowest gear, legs are burning, try to stand up, no leg strength whatsoever, sit back down, and slowly make it up the hill. Do I really have that much lactic acid in my legs? Or has blood sugar tanked? Reach the top, look at my heart rate monitor and find I’m over my max HR. Check CGM again and still in the 140s heading down.

The ride back to base is easy with the tailwind and we’re rewarded at the end of camp with apples, bananas, pretzels, muffins, chocolate chip cookies and water. I didn’t eat everything. Overall a good day coming away with four things to pay attention to: belly to the wall, turning with my hips, and keeping my head down in the water; foot strikes and faster leg turn over when running; keeping cadence up on the bike; and using my heart rate monitor to keep in my zones.

Happy training everyone!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment