Highs & Lows...Literally

| Posted in ,

Nancy Eastman
April 7, 2010






We all know there are highs and lows in life, but that phrase has even deeper meaning in a diabetics life. When the spin cycle starts, and your life feels like it's squeezing all the water out, the blood sugars start to rise. There it is….a low (life moment) and high (blood sugar). Then consequently, for me at least, when life is grand and the planets are aligned…BAM…there is your high (life moment) and your low (blood sugar).


Stress, stress, and more stress…brings on more insulin, insulin, and more insulin. And to borrow the term from über Sport & Exercise Mental Skills Coach, Carrie Cheadle…I consider that to be "feeding the monster". The monster in this scenario is obviously high blood sugars. All my diabetes counterparts out there in the blogsphere know this to be true. I've had my fair share of stress in the past few years, and certainly don't claim to have anymore of it then the rest of you…but the question and point here is how to manage all the craziness! Hmmmmm…I wonder how?? (insert sarcasm here) Exercise people…exercise!

When I think of my life without training, I think of a mound of slug in front of the TV withering away. Mentally and physically. For without exercise, I wouldn't be able to think straight, let alone move in a swift manner, or be able to attain good control of my diabetes. Yes, it's true that diabetes is a constantly changing disease from day to day…unpredictable is the best word. BUT, with all the exercise it becomes more predictable doesn't it?

So the next time my alarm goes off and I roll over to hit the snooze for the 5th time, I will try remember my blog post…and I'm counting on all my WILD teammates to hold me accountable…that's what and who we are. Team WILD bands together! Are you with me??!! WOOT!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment