WILDfire

| Posted in , ,

Lyndsay Riffe
May 15, 2010







Last week was a week of “firsts” for me. I went on my first cruise, first trip to the Bahamas, and the first time in 25 years of having diabetes I was told “no” because of having diabetes.  I was on the cruise lines private island, and attempted to rent snorkeling gear. After honestly answering the medical questionnaire, the employee declined my rental because I was on insulin. I attempted to persuade them why it was completely safe for me to snorkel. “No, company policy mamn.” I was furious, and crushed. It was the first time in my life I felt like diabetes was a disability.

Fortunately, I had my swim goggles with me. What was I thinking in the first place trying to rent snorkeling gear!? Thanks to Celeste, I can swim like a fish (although still working on graduating from a guppy to a dolphin.) Not only did I get to see beautiful fish, I got a work out in at the same time, for FREE.

I am sure we all have stories of times we were told no from friends/family (no, you can’t have that cookie!),  DMV offices, etc. Some with diabetes even have memories of their doctors telling them not to exercise because of diabetes! After this moment I though about how grateful I was I was able to participate in endurance events.  It also made me reflect on the positive message Team WILD sends. I hope others with diabetes that believe they can’t do this type of event, or start exercising, really hear our stories. Stop letting others or even yourselves tell you no, you can’t do that. You can. Hopefully our stories spread like wildfire to people with diabetes!

Comments (0)

Post a Comment