Do I Dare?

| Posted in , ,

Jennifer Ahn
May 26, 2010







Listening in on the coaching call the other day, I was thinking to myself how it seems like people’s motivation to get going on the work-out plan is altered from last year.  Perhaps it’s because the fear of doing the event is not as apparent.  Many of our team are returners from last year… thus; the novelty of doing a half Ironman is not as scary.  I guess that is what pushes people to strive for goals that are bigger and better.  The new things for this race are likely not the distance but the challenge of the new location.
I was doing a long ride with my triathlon group last weekend, 50 miles in some areas with more hills than in the city.  The guy I was riding with commented that he was surprised I didn’t bump up to an Ironman this year since I did a half Ironman last year.  I told him that the team I was on is doing Branson this year.  But, I added, “I can’t run and the Ironman would make me run a marathon.  I’ve never run a marathon and not sure I want to.”  It’s funny because last year when I signed up, I had more experience running than swimming and biking.  Now, I love swimming and biking and dread the running. 

Now, thinking about the goals of Team WILD for next year, to have an Ironman team, I think to myself, would I join the team and attempt a full Ironman?  Do I have what it takes… the dedication, determination, endurance, and time to train?  If so, I feel I should run a marathon beforehand.  Some of my friends have said you don’t have to run a marathon before an Ironman… but, I’m the type of person who mentally needs to know that I can do the distance. 

Do I have that motivation to run a marathon?  I read Karen L’s blog about the run-walk strategy she is using and spoke to one of our local triathlon coaches.  He thought it might be a good strategy for me, especially during the longer races.  I tend to run in HR zone 4 a lot.  He thought the rest/recovery during the walk will get me to endure the longer distances.  This got me thinking even more about the potentials of a marathon and an Ironman.  I’ve always told myself… no, I have no desire to run a marathon.  Now, it’s creeping into my mind.  Now, I think I may dare to do so.  Looking at the calendar… Branson 70.3, Sept. 19th… then, marathon before next year’s Ironman.  The Disney World marathon is Jan. 9th… during my birthday weekend.  So, for my 38th birthday, go to Disney World, run a marathon, and enjoy a great time in Florida.  So many possibilities… anyone want to join me?

Comments (0)

Post a Comment