Looking Back.....

| Posted in , ,

Karyn Brown
June 28, 2010








So, one of the women I work out with asked me this week – 'How did you ever become a couch potato?' Well, I was NEVER a couch potato – easy answer, right? The more difficult answer is why did it take until 34 years old to figure out that I could be a better non-couch potato. First, let me explain why she assumed I was a couch potato.... Last April I had knee surgery for the THIRD time on the same knee. Two ACL reconstructions and two meniscectomies later on that same knee – all results of being ACTIVE – I decided that it was time to drop some of my 195 lbs off my body. I found the following information right before I had my (hopefully) final knee surgery.

“every pound netted a 4-lb reduction in pressure exerted on the knee

So, how was I going to change this?

I had a bicycle out in the garage and that's low impact on the knee and from past knee surgery recoveries I know it's the first activity that I will be allowed to begin post-op! I promptly signed up for the Tour de Cure – 100K (62) miles. Now I had a fitness goal – time to get to work.
I enjoyed the summer of training and even bought a car that could more easily transport my bike – I know, weird... at least a little. I rode that 100K, blew a tire on the ride. Yes, a TIRE not a tube. Repaired with a $1 bill folded in place of the flap of rubber and proceeded with some care to the finish line. Then, I found out what a RED RIDER was – as I crossed the finish line, as I was cheered along on the race course, and pretty much the entire day. A Red Rider is anyone in Tour de Cure that has diabetes – I felt like such a part of a group. And a really positive group – since when has diabetes ever felt positive?? I stuck around, even though it was well over 100 degrees, for the Red Rider photo for the day!

The woman sitting next to me – lower, right-hand corner.... I'm third from the right, 2nd row up... is Mari Ruddy. And she asks me what length ride I had ridden that day and I gleefully said '100K!'. She next asks – do you swim or run? NO! Not just no, but HELL NO! She says, well I'm wondering if you might be interested in cycling on a relay team for a ½ Ironman. Well, of course I would – wait, what the hell is a ½ Ironman?!?!?! A few emails later and I'm flying to Austin,Texas to complete my first event with Team WILD.

Now I've commited to my OWN ½ Ironman this fall... I still don't really think I'm a swimmer or a runner but I'm going to do it anyway. And, along the way I have figured out (with the help of Team WILD and our coaches) how to better fuel my body and my training to make this a great experience and not just something 'I HAVE to do'.



Watch out for me and Team WILD! We don't have limits and neither should you!


Comments (0)

Post a Comment